Friday, June 04, 2004

Love is...

Love is something I don't think I'll ever understand. I don't think we are ever meant to completely. What I do know is that its one of the most painful, beautiful, and hard things you will ever experience. I don't really know how many different types of love they are, categorizing love is like putting it into boxes. Tied up neatly, so we can feel in control. Love is not like that. Jesus Christ, the author of love, and the One who lived it perfectly, paid the ultimate price for it. Death. But with the price, came the ultimate gift. And I think thats what we need to realize as we try to live out love. The giving of ourselves, usually causes pain, for it makes us open, vulnerable. Love to those who are hurting, will cause us pain for we will hurt with them. But then comes the gift of comfort, and a friendship. Sometimes we will love those, who will never love us in return. But we are not asked to love for our benefit, but for the glory of God. In romance, love is always a chance. A chance for something you may look back on 50 years later and smile. Or it may be a relationship that ends up broken, with both, or one of the members hurting. It's been a very long and hard road for me to come to a place where I'm willing to take a chance again. I'm still walking it. But I've realized that for the chance of having a gift, you must risk being open and vulnerable. And for those who say that you can love without those two things, I say you've never loved. If God incarnate had to give all of Himself to love, we must to. And so in the many ways we love, give of yourself, to those around you, to God, and I hope you find what I have, that love truly is the best of all gifts.

2 comments:

Louis Dauphin said...

Very insightful and well spoken. Love is an interesting things. I believe the understanding of love grows as we progress in life and grow (hopefully closer to God), but on this side of life it will not be fully understood. Thank you for causing me to think about it.

Tim Wiersma said...

Wow, I could have never said it better than that Sarah. I too have been trying to define that word, and have caught myself trying to put it in thoise nice little packages, yet no matter how hard we try, we will never be able to match the love that has been shown to us by Christ.