Saturday, August 14, 2004

50 years of marriage!

I'm home this weekend to celebrate my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. I'm so proud of both of them for remaining faithful to each other through half a century. Marriage in our culture has become something very much disvalued. Its supposed to be a picture of the relationship between Christ and His Church, but with most couples its a dirty photograph that could at any time be torn in two. I'm told that "this is reality" and its time to realize I'm just sheltered. But I think its time that marriage should be shown for what it really is by the people of God. Its not a blissful, easy ride or a horrible burden that you can never be free of. Its a commitment that honours God as you honour, respect, serve and love each other. No one said it was easy; but as I've observed my grandparents and parents and countless other marriages, I've seen that there is great joy in keeping your vows. I really hope in 50 something years that I'll be able to attest personally to that.

No comments: