Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Satisfaction: Take #2

Psalm 145:14-16, 19.

The Lord upholds all who fall, and raises up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look expectantly to You, and You give them their food in due season.
You open your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing. ... He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and save them.

Wow.

These verses were given to me when I was quite depressed and the more I meditate on them, the more I am blown away by the impact of the statement. God is holding me in His hand, He raises me up when I fall into the darkness, when all I can see is the ground. He is the one who takes care of me - I am to look to Him for my needs, my satisfaction. He opens His hand and out of a huge abundance gives me what I crave - He fulfills my desires. This is something He gives to those who fear Him.

What an amazing God I serve. This past week has been really good for me, I've been up and rejoicing and seeing things with fresh eyes. Optimism is here baby. I'm not sure how long it will last, but that's not my focus. Day by day, giving God the glory and praise - thats why I'm here. I have to trust that He'll take care of the rest, including my emotional state.

A friend mentioned the other day an interesting and common sense bit of wisdom that had gone un- noticed by me.. I have always anticipated things in life, I can remember being a young kid and thinking about all of the fun things coming up. But somehow over the years that turned into an escape mechanism if things in the present weren't too my liking. If I was sad, or depressed, or not satisfied with life, I'd look ahead to things.

It's actually pretty stupid to do that.. because the more you look ahead to things to make you happy now the more you realize that the things in the future aren't here now and it makes the present look even worse. Blew me away. Which makes me sound like I've never thought that through before, but yeah.

So now I'm trying to look at the day with it's joys and focus on the now, instead of whats to come. As I wrote it at the beginning of the year: Enjoy the moment I'm in, while anticipating the future moments.

Easier said than done.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

It is intersting, as I read the Psalms I too find comfort in God, who is personal, and fatherly,

Psalms 37:23-24 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Or in NASB it actually says "for the Lord is the one who holds his hand"

I thought "MAN! God is holding my hand!" What a personal God we worship, that he comes to take us by the hand. He pulls us back up again, he holds on to us though we may slip nearly into a crack in the earth, his hand has our hand. Like a father holding a child as they learn to walk, or as an experienced climber tied to the novice so that he will not fall or be lost.

I think of the words of a song "Oh draw me Lord, and I will run after you." He's there drawing us onward, He's got our hand and like the hero of an epic movie pulling his friend along towwards the goal, running, but always stopping to pick us up, if we fall.

Candice said...

three cheers for enjoying the moment!
You know that cheesy "today is a gift, that's why it's called the present" line? I guess it's a gift from God. So TGIW...(if ya know what I mean)