Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Y'know one thing I really appreciate and respect about Kev? His ability to listen without his own preconceived ideas. He listens way more objectively than most people and if I make a good point, he concedes to that instead of always defending. I wish I could do that better.

Speaking of Kev, he surprised me last night by showing up at my doorstep and whisking me off to Crabby Joes for drinks and a good talk. I love that man.

I'm taking tomorrow off of work to head back to the ol' hometown for a funeral. A lady I worked with for 4 years, and became quite close to during that time - her husband died suddenly. A week before he died they found out he had cancer, and a week later he was gone. I can't imagine what she is going through right now, my heart hurts for her, her son and daughters, the community that he was once a mayor for. Death is so sudden. Birth is a known thing, you have 9 months to wait for the life you know is in you to come into your arms. Death of those around me is one of my greatest fears. I don't deal well with tragic change, most people don't. But the thought of losing my little brothers/sisters or one of my parents, or one of my friends, or the worst, Kev - makes me feel like life has just been emptied of it's fullness, it's joy, it's purpose. I know that that isn't so, but those feelings are the ones that grip me inside.

Enough of that. Whenever I get too morose, I remember that I'm living right now. If I spend my life dreading death - I will never truly live.

It's a beautiful scorcher folks. I'm having a fantastic day.

1 comment:

Scatterfingers said...

I'm glad things are going well for you!

dan (a little gagging from me there, though ;) )