Saturday, November 11, 2006

remembrance


I watched some of the national remembrance day service day. I also watched a part of the local service. On TV mind you, I think I was in the shower at 11:00. I felt bad about that, because remembering those who have died, lost a loved one, and the men and women who are serving for our country currently is very important. What struck me about both services was how central God was. Many hymns were sung, prayers prayed, short messages from priests read. How politically uncorrect... but how truly awesome. Even if the motive wasn't from one of piety or true faith, it was refreshing to see heads bowed on Parliament Hill while a young choir sang "Nearer my God to Thee". I can't help but think of the Apostle Paul when he says:
"It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. "
Last night Kev and I went to the Town hall portion of the E(quipping)C(hristians)for the P(ublic square) conference held at the Crossroads Center. It was cool, my mind hasn't been working that hard in awhile. I was thinking about the reasons why we should be involved in the political/legal/public sphere as Christians.
Is it to keep our rights and freedoms free? Yes, but why?
I think they answered part of it last night when they mentioned the fact that God has given us certain freedoms as humans, and we need to defend that in our culture. But what is the reason for using those freedoms, what importance do they hold in our lives as Christians? I believe it is ultimately so that we can give glory to God with those freedoms, specifically as we live out our faith and speak the name of Jesus Christ in this dark land. What benefit is a freedom that a country gives without the freedom of Christ?
Yes, our country is wonderful. Yes, it's sinful. Yes, it's falling from it's once correct stand on moral issues. But these issues all are secondary. The Bible's focus is not on the moral health of the state, it's on the advancement of the Kingdom of God. The benefit to having our freedoms as Christians kept free, is that it gives us a bigger sphere to spread the Gospel. Not only that, but having moral clarity reflects God better and gives Him more glory. For example, marriage between one man and one woman is a clear picture of the Church and Christ. Homosexual marriage is a perversion of what God intended, and brings sorrow and darkness into the nation that allows it.
Though I found the discussion interesting and enlightening, I wish the above had been made clear. It felt as though they were pushing for a freedom without having a reason. Much like our culture has no basis for their moral and social positions without absolutes, as Christians we often chop off the root of our strength when we fight for our rights and freedoms without realizing WHY they are so vital.
Thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What freedom do you have ?

Freedom to die.. thats about it.. Nothing else can be guarenteed outside of this existence...


Fighting for freedom for freedom's sake isn't terrible, as freedom is a great gift, and tool.. however it's been made plainly clear through history, the one thing Christians aren't good at is preaching the gospel the way they should, and in fighting for freedoms that must allways be at the forefront of what we do.

kudos on the post..

G: