Sunday, January 20, 2008

sick beyond comprehension

In the last few days I've had the experience of watching two different pieces of media on abortion. Both have left me sick ...

I've always known in the back of my head what happens during abortion, and to some extent, how it's done. But learning the specifics and having the added knowledge of what it's like to be pregnant and go through childbirth has made the whole topic of abortion one that strikes much closer to my soul.

I think it's good to remind ourselves of the horrors of abortion ... we can become so calloused. I even find myself sometimes thinking of added and "untimely" children as "inconveniences". That scares me beyond belief.

We watched this video/multimedia project on abortion and while we did, in the left hand corner a ticker showed us how many babies had been aborted since we had started watching. Every 23 seconds it ticked off another life. It hit me again and again. A life gone, ... gone ... gone. Not just a life gone, a life taken. Lives taken so brutally it made me feel sick to my stomach.

In our country a child can be almost out of the birth canal at 38 weeks, and have his brain sucked out of his head before he can take his first breath of air. In our world, a baby at 8 weeks can have her limbs, head, eyes & organ burned with acid in the very place she was being nourished.

It reinforces to me how much we really do need God, and how "but for the grace of God, go I". It also makes me more determined to not be a wuss and feel awkward about stating the truth. Life begins at conception, life is precious and sacred and in the image of God, and life needs to be protected from those who play God for a short, short time. They won't be able to play God when they meet Him ... and I am really really ready for God to set things right. Til then, I am determined to fight for life on His behalf.

No comments: