Saturday, May 17, 2008

time got away with me

I apologize for the vast amount of time between my posts. I keep meaning to ... but time gets away fast these days. Kev finished school with class, which I expected, but I'm still so proud of his hard work and happy about the recognition he's gotten because of it.

Since then he's been home ... which has been wonderful and a little frustrating. I can't get ANYTHING done. I don't know if the problem is that he's so distracting ... :) or if it's because between him and Jakob needing me for things, I walk around all day spinning. I can't say that it's been all unproductive though ... we've accomplished a lot of stuff in the past month. We drew up a will and our POA documents, got life insurance, did our taxes, lots of miscellaneous odd jobs, did some financial & career planning, made tile frescoes of our wedding vows for over our bed, got the car all ready for summer, watched some just awful B-grade movies (yes, we watched the "Love Comes Softly" series by Janette Oke) and decided that the point of the movies was to make you really glad that the heroine wasn't someone you knew. Oh yes, and Kev started his job hunt. (*cough*finally)

He's looking locally right now because we don't like the idea of him being home at 6:30 or 7:00 every night just in time to put Jakob to bed. I'm so glad that our family is more important to him than a career or making money. So we wait and pray and see what God brings ... who knows, maybe he'll end up working in Toronto because there's no response here. While he's working we're looking very seriously at him doing the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) Syllabus Program. It's an online/design studio in Toronto school program that takes 10-12 years part-time to complete, but gives him the equivalent necessary education (B. Arch & M. Arch) to become an architect. We researched and researched and researched about all of the options in the architectural field and how to get there, and man ... the road to becoming an architect is really long. So yeah, it'll be cool to see what will happen with this.

Jakob is learning more and more "tricks". :)

He learned to crawl two days ago (in the bathtub to get his duckie), is babbling loud and almost non-stop (dada, baba, mama, gaga .... etc) and is starting to try to talk to us with these "words". When he's upset because we've not gotten him out of his crib fast enough after a nap he starts babbling in this very sad voice and complains to us for a few minutes about how horrible we are to him. He is starting to try to pull himself up on things too. It's like all of a sudden the lightbulb went on somewhere. He's going to a story hour (which lasts 20 minutes) for babies at the library every week now. It's kind of funny because they do all these rhymes and songs and the biggest thing Jakob cares about is trying to eat his nametag and touching the other babies. I think the point is a bit lost on him. We're reaching the 7 month mark on the 23rd -- what everyone says about it going fast is an understatement.

LW is gearing up for our first actual event this year on the 24th of May. (see www.livingworship.ca for details. We're focusing on humility and as a group we've done a lot of talking and thinking about it. Humility is one of those things that once you think you've gotten, you've lost. It's also really important. So come out and worship with us!

Anyways, it's time to change the laundry loads and I should really get to my dishes. I need to use the time Kev's working today to get caught up on my stuff again.

Cheers.

2 comments:

heidi said...

Dear Sarah,

About four months ago now, when I became a mother, you wrote some wonderful words of encouragement on my blog, and I am only now getting around to thanking you. Funny, when I started to read your writing (which is beautiful by-the-way) I had to laugh at your latest post...the apology for not writing sooner. My last post looks quite similar. It is amazing how motherhood really fills your day doesn't it? I often look at the clock in shock that I have no recollection of the past hours I have spent with my son. Congratulations on becoming a mother and on Jakob's new tricks! I sometimes catch myself wishing Jude on to the next stage in his life and I have to repent for not celebrating each moment I am given with him. I hear they grow up way too fast anyway! Well, thanks again for your encouraging words. May God bless you and your family (as it looks like you have some big decisions to make in the near future).

Blessings, Heidi

Dorothy said...

My dear Sarah - I just found you when I googled looking for the source of "the Lord gives and the Lord takes away" which you used over a year ago.
You have a nice way of writing for one so young and I'm delighted that you take your Christianity seriously. Maybe it's time you read something other than Piper? Try Matthew Kelly's Words from God - I have a post about it on my blog www.musingsat85.com which I invite you to visit. You might enjoy some of my thoughts on family and kids and abortion, etc.etc.
Stay the course! Love. Dorothy