Thursday, October 23, 2008

"every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father ..."

From this ...
to this ...

in one year.

I wrote this letter to Jakob but thought it expressed well what I'm feeling today in general.

"To my son Jakob on his first birthday --

Jakob, you'll read this letter not on your first birthday but someday when you can read or will understand what's being read to you. Still I wanted to write this letter today because of the significance of this time in your life and mine.

When I think back on your life, the time you spent inside me and the year you've spent discovering the world outside, I am filled with joy. You have brought so much happiness into my life. Your brief existence has been characterized by boundless energy, a spirit of adventure, intense emotions, a great sense of humour and a loving heart to your Dad and I. I love your personality and it's been amazing watching you develop into my little boy.

Thank you for the hugs and giggles you give me every day, the beaming smiles when I get you out of bed, and the chance to discover the world with you. You will always hold a special place in my heart because you initiated me into motherhood. I understand what it's like to be the first because I was born first too.

Jakob - I love you. More than I thought possible! I am so thankful to God for giving me the gift of you and I will love you, pray for you, treasure you and thank God for you every day of my life.

Today is your first birthday - at 8:01 pm one year ago you came into the world and screamed! I think it was too cold for you here. My favourite memory of that day was holding you, immediately after you were born, so close to me and telling you I loved you. You responded by peeing on me! You've been mischievous right from the start, monkey!

So much has changed this past year and yet you are still my little darlin'. Now that you're one you have an exciting year ahead -- learning to run, speak more words and colour with crayons. I'm so glad I get to spend this year with you, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy 1st Birthday, Jakob!

With lots of love,

Mommy"

No comments: