Saturday, February 07, 2009

saturday thoughts over a cuppa'

I'm using the Saturday morning slowness that I love to do things like post on my blog (finally!), update pictures on facebook (Jakob is cute!) and drink tea. I'm realizing more and more that life is different than I expected when I was younger. I always thought there would be a time when you were caught up, when life was "settled", when you didn't have the unexpected constantly making you juggle priorities.

That however, is not life. So I relish times when my to do list is small enough that I don't feel entirely guilty for taking time to do things that aren't as important. Like update my blog, for example.

Honestly, Kev and I approached the new year thinking to ourselves that we were going to look at our commitments and think about our priorities for this year, etc. We wanted to make sure we weren't as busy as we have been. And then Kev's work booked him for a LEED exam half way through January, so that took ALL his time until then. After that, he started working 12 hour days to make a deadline at work, and then promptly fell sick because he'd worked himself into the ground. That brings us to the beginning of February -- where we're already in the midst of my school, Living Worship, priorities at church, etc ad nauseum. It drives me crazy. I'm still hoping we can sit down to talk about it, but at this rate we should have our priorities straight for 2010.

Jakob now has the awful fever-cold-general awfulness that Kev is still getting over. Thankfully I'm feeling well still, and I know it's God keeping me healthy because I really should be sick. Jakob is a little trooper -- he's still smiling and playing, but I know he feels like a truck hit him when I see his red-rimmed eyes look up at me during a hacking cough and he hoarsely says "Beh" (bed).

Jakob is 15.5 months -- and every inch a toddler. You probably get tired of me saying that I don't know where time went, and what happened to my baby, but oh well. I honestly am amazed at how fast babies grow. It's like I'm excited for each new stage and mourning how fast he passed through all of the other stages all at once. He's mostly weaned, which is another big step. He amazes us almost daily with things he knows. He loves to point out objects in his books and his vocabulary is really expanding. Communication in words is a lot of fun. All in all, he's still the light of our lives and we thank God that he's blessed us with such an awesome son!

I really need to stop posting about how busy I am. I think I rambled on about that in one of my last posts too. I do have lots of other thoughts and even intellectual musings. They just seem to be more difficult to formalize into an intelligent post. I'm enjoying reading Sex and the Supremacy of Christ (edited by John Piper) a lot. Not too far into it, but really impressed so far. Now I realize that the last time I mentioned the above topic on my blog (back when I was first married), I received some negative feedback. This book addresses that phenomenon by saying that we shouldn't be more "holy" than the Bible. If God wrote a whole book about the beauty of intimacy within marriage, we shouldn't be afraid to discuss it in the church or in our communication with others. Nor should we always discuss it in the context of "don't do this". Positive affirmation and teaching on sex within marriage should not be something that we have to look outside the church for. Just because the culture has gone whole-hog into places that we are to stand firm against does not mean that we should jump to the other extreme and become those who blush at the mention of one of God's greatest gifts.

And on that note, I'm going to get some lunch going. Til next time ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"If God wrote a whole book about the beauty of intimacy within marriage, we shouldn't be afraid to discuss it in the church or in our communication with others. Nor should we always discuss it in the context of "don't do this"."

Amen!
<3 Tamara