Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

Amidst trying to explain to J why Christmas is not just a present grab and a binge fest I've realized that I need the reminders just as simply and often as he does.

You probably need them too.

It's our human condition to quickly pass over the grace that allows us to experience Christmas as we do because of what Christ did.

I need to remind myself that the reason we do this is not because of tradition but because a flesh and blood baby was born - the Creator became the creation.

I need to remind myself that the gifts we give each other are a reflection of the love that was shown us when God looked down upon this stinking, sinful, ugly world - at the rape and the murder, the bitterness and the rage, the self-centeredness and the death and sent his Son.

I need to remind myself that all of the things that make this time of year special - the lights, the snow, the food, the family, the music, the tree - are all things that God has allowed in my life so that I can glorify Him through my thankfulness and recognition that He has done this.

I'm not sure how much J is taking in about the fact that it's Jesus' birthday - about the storyline on our Jesse tree - about why we give gifts. But it's my hope that as I remind him about the bigger picture that he'll see how beautiful Jesus Christ is and how great a gift we've been given -  most of all that he'll come to Christ and worship.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: